Bookish & Not So Bookish Thoughts
is a weekly meme hosted by Christine over at Bookishly Boisterous, where we post things that are on our minds. Head over there and check it out!
1. I am heading to an author luncheon this afternoon and I am very excited. My sister and Mom will be there too. The author is Regina Calcaterra and her Book is Etched in Sand– about her difficult childhood in Long Island.
This is actually my first author event and I am very excited!
2. I picked up the audiobook of The Illiad at my library yesterday because it is read by Dan Stevens (Matthew Crawley from Downton Abbey) and everyone seems to think I am crazy.
3. My husband continues his audiobook reading and I couldn’t be more excited. After he finished The Stand, I had a problem finding a good one at the library for him to read next, so I grabbed The Paris Architect– a historical fiction I had read last year and enjoyed. Next up is The Book Thief for him. I will bring him over to our side!
4. I am rereading The Handmaid’s Tale (again) because my daughter is reading it for her English class. While at first I thought it might be a tough read for 15 year olds, I applaud the teacher for picking it. I am excited to see how my daughter and her friends like it and what they think about it. She just started and already had a cool insight- the handmaids are named after their commanders.
5. I think spring might actually be here in Northern NJ! My daffodils have finally bloomed and I sat outside and read yesterday afternoon.
6. The hubby and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary this June and decided to celebrate by renting a house on the beach in OBX with the kids and the dogs. While not terribly romantic, it makes sense- they are teenagers and this will probably be the last big anniversary with them living at home.
7. We are toying with the idea of renewing our vows on the beach. My daughter will be the maid of honor and my son the best man. The yellow lab will be the flowergirl and the chocolate the ring bearer. Sound cheesy, but I am actually getting a little excited by the idea. Now I just need to make it happen. Ideas are much appreciated.
8. And because of #7, I have to get in shape quickly! When I told my daughter, she didn’t understand why. She said this way there was more of me to love. She should go into politics.
9. Tomorrow I am off to Atlantic City. This is probably one of my least favorite places to visit, but my Mom LOVES it and it is her birthday. To celebrate, we are staying over and going to see Frankie Valli. Yes, it seems he is still alive. There had better be LOTS of wine involved.
10. And the NHL playoffs have begun, which means I get a whole lot of reading time in the evenings- excerpt when the NY Rangers are on of course. We actually scored tickets to Saturday nights game- so excited. My daughter was invited to this big party by a very popular girl. She was so excited to be invited and immediately said sorry, she can’t make it- wouldn’t want to miss the game!