Bookish & Not So Bookish Thoughts
is a weekly meme hosted by Christine over at Bookishly Boisterous, where we post things that are on our minds. Head over there and check it out!
1. Too cold…too much snow…for too long. Enough! And if I have to read about the poor bastards in southern Florida who are actually cold, I might hurt someone!
I think the wind chill is supposed to be in around -25 today.
2. So the boy got his permit and…hasn’t drove a lick! What is going on here? I think the kids where I live are more than happy being chauffeured around by the parents, and are in no big rush to drive. While I get it, how the heck are they going to learn is they don’t practice???
3. I posted a review this week of an ARC that I really didn’t like. I was actually considering not posting, since I do value that this was someone’s hard work. I just felt that I had to be honest. What do you think about posting reviews of books that you REALLY didn’t like (i.e.. loathed)?
4. I am reading Jodi Picoult’s newest- Leaving Time. Maybe I just haven’t given it enough time (ha ha), but I am not as into it as I thought I would be. Has anyone else read it? What did you think?
5. I was invited to join a new book club. I am a little hesitant, as it looks like it will be just like the other BC I was a member of- no one ever read the book. They would drink wine and talk about their kids and school.
6. My mother just told me she is reading The Girl on the Train, so it is official- everyone is reading that but me. I don’t know why I have put it off. Does it live up to the hype?
7. We skied last Sunday when the wind chill was a balmy -25. It was actually lots of fun. We had to make sure that NO skin was exposed, which was pretty challenging. At one point on the lift, I pulled the mask off of my face and my daughter said that my hair, which had gotten wet from condensation, had frozen. The hot chocolate with rum was especially tasty that day!
8. Mockingjay is finally available on iTunes, and my daughter has had too much homework every night to watch it with me. So, do i just say-screw it-and watch it without her? Or actually be a good mom and wait?
9. The happiest state in the country is- Alaska. Probably because it’s warmer there than it is where I live, damn it!
Seriously, that is pretty cool. I think it’s because there aren’t that many people to annoy you there. Moose aren’t annoying. Bears, maybe.
So how is everything going by you? Staying warm? What are you reading?
It is really hard to review a book I don’t like….and I recently struggled with that one. Maybe it was the same one you are referring to…mine was After Birth. I wanted to love it…but I didn’t.
Another book that was difficult to review (also an ARC) was from an author I usually love, and while I didn’t give it a BAD review, I had to mention something I didn’t like in my final thoughts….and felt as though I was stabbing the author in the back. But I had to be honest, right?
As for Leaving Time, I ended up loving it, even though the beginning, with all the elephants, was not my favorite part.
Hope you enjoy it by the time you get to the end…here’s MY BOOKISH/NOT SO BOOKISH POST
It was After Birth. Honestly if I met a woman like Ari, I would probably hate her.
I’m right there with you about the cold!
You are not the only one who hasn’t read Girl on the Train yet, WE are the only TWO people not to have read it yet 🙂
I promised my mom I would wait for her visit (end of April) before watching Mockingjay, but me and my daughter have other ideas and will probably end up watching it soon then deny all knowledge if she calls us out on it!
I am not running out to get it yet. It is way too cold today!
I saw your post on twitter i.e.. trying to get over to BEA this spring. I am in morris county, nj- maybe we can try to coordinate a day and go in?
I’m in Morris too. If I end up going it will be the Friday for sure. So let me know.
I could combine 3 & 4 above. I read Leaving Time, and hated it! I’m a huge fan of Picoult’s early works, but lately it has been hit or miss. I did end up reviewing it though. Stay warm!
Raises hand……haven’t read Girl on the Train. So you’re not the only ones.
If I don’t like a book, I say so in a review. I try very hard not to be mean to the author or take cheap personal pot-shots. Usually, I get riled up because it’s clear the publisher did something to screw the author (bad editing, obvious they hurried the story out because they could sell it, same formula from an author for the fifth or fifteenth time.)
Thanks! I read these books for enjoyment and to encourage new authors. It is very seldom I accept a book and wind up really hating it, which is what happened.
I am looking forward to reading your new book soon!
Pingback: Weekly Wrap Up | Turn the Page Reviews