Bookish & Not So Bookish Thoughts
is a weekly meme hosted by Christine over at Bookishly Boisterous, where we post things that are on our minds.
1. I finished The Stand by Stephen King. I posted my review yesterday and also linked up with King’s March. I was very excited to do this, which you might be able to tell if you read my review. I sound so gushy and a little nuts.
I also found myself in that yucky place, where you finish a book you really love, with characters you don’t want to say good-bye to. It ruins you for a little while for all other books. The next book I picked up didn’t really have a chance. I had to take a few days off, then found myself looking for other King books to read. I picked The Green mile after some very helpful suggestions from you , dear readers. I think it was the right choice, as I can’t put it down!!
Has it ever happened to you where a really good book ruins you for a while?
2. Buzzfeed posted a list of 22 Strong Female Characters We all Wanted to Be. Honestly- great list- I definitely wanted to be like Lizzy Bennet, Matilda, Lucy Pensieve, and Hermione Granger (why doesn’t she have any close friends that are girls??) But I don’t think I really wanted to be Lizbeth Salander. Or Charlotte of the Web fame. She has to deal with a whiny pig. Then dies before all of her babies are born.
What do you think of this list?
3. This is my view whenever I sit at the computer. Jack soaking up the sun, sound asleep. Sound being the optimal word. About two minute after I took this picture, he started making a sound very much like a chainsaw, with intermittent little yelps thrown in for comic relief. Of course, the whole body then started convulsing, paws trying to gain traction in the never ending pursuit of that damn squirrel. No wonder I get nothing done.
4. It is rumored to be warming up to the mid to high 50s around here soon. You know what that means, right? That it’s going to rain for the next month or two-straight. Then it will get so blistering hot, we will think we live in Mars. Or Hell. But it’s just New Jersey.
5. I am not really officially taking part in Bloggiesta this time around, but I am trying to look up the posts and challenges. There was a great one over at River City Reading on using Pic MONKEY- go check it out. Thank you SO much for the help!! I went over there and played around a little, but then had to stop to cook dinner. WHY do children insist on eating? Everyday?
6. I feel bad for my husband, who has been a NY Jets fan forever. I had to sadly informed him that our house will no longer be watching or rooting for that team. I am a book lover, and a dog lover. Please don’t get me started.
Who should we root for this season? I am personally a Cowboys fan, but I think hubby will root for the Falcons. I will allow that. Plus Matt Ryan is adorable.
7. I don’t do Throwback Thursday for the simple reason that I don’t want to see how young and unlined I used to be. If I look in the mirror without my glasses, I think I still look like that.
8. I have been very sporadic with posting lately, and it makes me feel very bad. I am going to get myself into a real routine, now that we aren’t spending 3+ days away skiing every week. I also need to detox from all the apres ski food. It’s yummy and fun, but not conducive to wearing anything other than leggings and long sweaters.
How is everything with you?
Please leave a comment-I love hearing from you.
I enjoyed your list. Cute puppy!! I also feel the same as you regarding dogs & NOT cheering for the NY Jets. 🙂
Thanks! So funny- he is laying that exact spot right now!
I always enjoy your posts, especially the lists. Your dog is adorable. Wouldn’t it be so nice to be able to lie in bed all day with the sun’s rays warming you? Thanks for the post, as usual.
Thank you! It’s so funny-he is laying in that exact spot right now-sound asleep!
Yeah… I have definitely had a good book wreck my reading habits. Then I try reading like 6 books at once with none of them really standing out to me and no real progress made in any of them. Another blogger called it Readers Block when that happens. Luckily I think I have broken through and am now making decent progress in one book (of the six, lol).
Glad to hear you got past it too!
I’ve been thinking about chancing my first Stephen King book. Which one would you recommend first?
Stalking your blog via Bookishly Boisterous. 🙂
Hi! So glad you stopped by! Hmmm…I am pretty new to King- I have only read The Shining, Doctor Sleep, and The Stand. The Shining scared me, but was amazing and I am so glad I read it-Doctor Sleep is it’s sequel. The Stand is readily BIG, but was probably the best book I have read in a long while.
That is so true about when you love a book and love the characters and it totally ruins the next book! LOL And love the Michael Vick picture!
Loved your list! Number 4 sounds like Ohio. Ready for spring so I can sit on the porch and read. I’m also with you on the Throwback Thursday.
It’s king to rain here for the 3 days- just a taste of spring in NJ!
Oooh, a Stephen King fan. Which of his books would you recommend? I’ve only read 22/11/63. And I’m a big scaredy cat so it needs to be not too scary but still good!
I want to be bad-ass like Lisbeth, but I definitely don’t want her issues!
I am a newbie too, though I did read The Shining and Dr Sleep last October, and just read the stand last week. I am one of the biggest babies when it comes to scary things, and The Shining did scare me quite a bit- I reviewed it on my blog- but it was wonderful! The Stand was not scary-just wonderful. I am now reading The Green Mile and I love that too. Damn Stephen King- I have review books just sitting on my shelf!
Glad to hear you’re finally getting some warmer weather. May everyone be able to say the same very soon.
How is the walk going? Last I saw you were at 345? You are amazing!!
I agree with you that I wouldn’t want to be Lisbeth Salander, but damn she is cool and clever and independent and kick ass. Could I be her for a day or two?!
Very cool and very clever with a wicked sense of right and wrong- but lots of issues.
>>>It ruins you for a little while for all other books. The next book I picked up didn’t really have a chance.
YES. Oh my God yes. This just happened to me, although it wasn’t because I loved the characters — I hated them actually — it was just SUCH A GOOD BOOK that I didn’t know how to deal with other books that weren’t The People in the Trees.
I hadn’t seen that Vick went to the Jets! Weird move by them. It’ll be interesting to see how the season goes.
I read the book The Lost Dogs about what happened at Vick’s kennel, and I honestly think the man is evil.
I haven’t heard of The People in the Trees- was that the title?
#3- Dogs have such hard lives…