Bookish & Not So Bookish Thought
is a weekly meme hosted by Christine over at Bookishly Boisterous, where we post things that are on our minds.
1. If you haven’t heard about this yet, a lovely well rounded child from the great state I currently call home has actually SUED her parents. Read about it here. When I read about this last week, I was amazed. Thank god the judge, who lives in my town, had the good sense to deny her request for emergency support. I just read today that she has returned home. So- what do you think about this case? I grew up in a strict household, and the #1 rule was simple- this was my parent house and we lived by their rules. Or left. It seems this young lady wanted it both ways. I hope this family can move on from this.
2. I decided to join up with King’s March that is being hosted by Fourth Street Reviews and Wensend. I have only read two books by King, so I thought it would be a good idea to tackle The Stand. Now I am thinking that I might have been a little crazy. I am up to the chapter that introduces Randall Flagg- about 20% in. When do the new characters stop coming??? There are SO many? Actually I am loving it very much, but do find myself putting it down after two chapters or so, to soak it in.
3. It was almost 60 degrees two days ago. It is now 14. The wind chill is -1. WTF?? I was thinking pedicure, now I am looking for my damn gloves.
4. I saw this and loved it- I do this all the time. And then get pissed when I didn’t have a chance to read!
5. I read something in Book Riot last week that floored me. An author, Lynn Shepherd wrote an article for the Huffington Post UK version, stating (boldly) that if J.K. Rowling cares about writing, she should stop doing it.
Was she serious? I almost hope she was doing it to get her name out there, maybe sell some books. Because otherwise, her reasoning is insane. How can an author tell another- one she has admitted never even reading- to stop writing, so other have a chance?? Read the Book Riot piece- I totally agree with it.
6. That’s all I have this week- we are packing to get one more long weekend in for skiing (BRRRR) and then I am hoping things slow down and return to normal. Though I think I have been saying that since December!