Bookish & Not So Bookish Thoughts
is a weekly meme hosted by Christine over at Bookishly Boisterous, where we post things that are on our minds. Head over there and check it out!
1. Did you ever have “that” kind of a day- where everything is BLAH? I am having one. My solution- I am going to the library.
2. Does anyone have the Kindle Unlimited? I am tempted-but-Is it worth it? I figure I impulse buy at least $10 worth every month any way.
3. I started reading The Martian yesterday- I am only 5% in-my question is- Does it get good? I am up to the part where he is figuring out how to make water. My eyes are glazing over like they did back in high school during Chem class. I hated Chem. I actually hated Walter White BEFORE he started making the meth.
4. I am listening to The Illiad narrated by Matthew Crawley (Dan Stevens), the new Beast. I love him, but am not sure his proper, clipped British accents gels with the rough and tumble Agamemnon and Achilles.
5. Speaking of the Beast, did you see the complete cast for the upcoming live Beauty and the Beast? It is AWESOME! Click here. Be my guest.
6. Last night my father in law came over and I made a nice big dinner- sauce with meatballs and sausage, manicotti, Italian bread, and salad, with cheesecake for dessert. I had a meatball. :-((
7. I went to my first high school track meet this week. My son decided to give it a try this year to keep in shape. He is doing hurdles and high jump.
That was two hours of my life I will never get back.
8. We are shipping up to Boston (aahhhh) to visit some colleges. I am very excited- to not make beds for a day or so.
Off to the library to feel better!
Hi! The library is sure to lift your spirits 🙂 Have you read A Man Called Ove? I just bought it on the recommendation of a bookstore owner but I haven’t started it yet. Got really good reviews. Maybe the library has it? As far as Kindle Unlimited, probably a great idea to try it, especially if you spend at least that much each month. I made my book avail on it and lots of people are reading it.
Great post, as usual. 7 & 8 – very funny!
Oh yes, I’ve had lots of BLAH days..but I’m stuck at work and can’t leave to go to the library or shopping or anywhere more fun. Bummer!! Hope you have a better day!!
I need to go to the library again…not because I am feeling “blah,” but because it is the kind of place that makes me feel good when I get there…and after I leave. Of course, I usually leave with a stack of books that I may or may not finish by the deadline. LOL.
I am jealous about the going to Boston thing…I went once, way back in the 80s, and fell in love. I have always wanted to return.
Here’s MY BOOKISH/NOT SO BOOKISH POST
As an author, I’m sure it isn’t popular to say I’m anti-Kindle Unlimited. People must read 10% of the book for the author to be paid, and it encourages people to binge-download many titles in one sitting.
I tried two other book-renting services before Kindle Unlimited came out and it definitely wasn’t for me. You may binge-purchase $10 a month, but at least you own those books. Amazon Unlimited and the other services like it are basically NetFlix for books, which is fine if it’s worth it to you, but I couldn’t get over the fact that I was paying $10 a month for a service that I was already getting for free from the library with their ebooks on OverDrive. Plus, I go in spurts with ebooks, so one month I might read a bunch of them, and then I might read only treebooks for the next two or three months. So it wasn’t worth the expense. Lots of people love those services, though.
Have fun in Boston! About The Martian — i absolutely loved it, but if you can’t stand all the science-y tinkering, it might not be for you. My husband read it as well, but hated all of the detailed here’s-how-it-works stuff, so while he like the overall plot, there were big chunks that he found super annoying.
I loved The Martian, but I’m kind of a science geek and I was obsessed with the space program as a kid, so it may not be your thing. Good luck college touring in Boston.