Bookish & Not So Bookish Thoughts
is a weekly meme hosted by Christine over at Bookishly Boisterous, where we post things that are on our minds. Head over there and check it out!
It has been SO long since I participated in this awesome meme hosted by Christine! I am so excited to be able to join in again!!
1. I just finished (as in an hour ago) the gargantuan Under The Dome by Stephen King- 1,072 pages long. I picked it up on Tuesday, got to about page 175 and thought about putting it down. I am so tired of reading right now, but WOW! So here are a few thoughts I have about the book.
2. Stephen King is awesome. That being said- how does he imagine ALL the characters he outs in his books? I thought The Stand was filled to the brim, but Dome might actually have more.
3. While I loved it, I did have one complaint- Jim Rennie. I know he is supposed to be the bad guy, but he was totally awful. Many of King’s “villains” have something good about them- John Torrence did love Danny, but Rennie was just bad, very bad.
4. I actually watched 2 or three episodes of the TV show last summer before I lost interest, but just from that I am thinking that the show is a bit different front the book. If any of you have seen/read both, tell me how they compare.
5. I have read the following by King- The Shining, The Stand, The Green Mile, Bag of Bones, The Long Walk, 11/22/63, Salem’s Lot, Different Seasons, Mr. Mercedes, Doctor Sleep.
What should I read next?
Was also thinking of trying Joe Hill- any recommendation?
6. I don’t know why, but these past few months I have loved my reading, but writing reviews-or actually even trying to write any posts at all, has been so daunting. Has anyone else gone through this? Any advice?
7. I can’t wait for fall sports to be over at my kids’ high school. The schedule kills me. They leave at 6:30am and get home 12 hours later- if there isn’t a game- then who knows when.
8. Just watched the last episode of How I Met Your Mother with the family- I know we are slow. Man, my kids were pissed!! I knew what was coming, but really? You spend 8 years introducing the character, only to kill her off? Not good.
9. Finished one series and started another- with hubby only-Breaking Bad. You really have to get through the first episode and push on, huh? That first one is crazy! But I am sure it gets better, right?
10. I can not wait to see Gone Girl! Probably won’t happen, since the last movie I saw was Catching Fire, but it still looks good!
I enjoyed Under the Dome…until I got to the ending. Frickin’ awful. But that seems to be the case with about 40-50% of his books. The TV show is very different and it’s SO BAD. We only continue to watch it because we love to hate it. It’s terrible. Really.
I know- he killed almost everyone!
Yay, a fellow SK fan! I loved Under the Dome. Haven’t seen the show, but SK regularly talks about it on twitter. He seems to like what they’ve done with it.
If you’re behind on reviews…. I’m hosting a review-a-thon this month 🙂 http://booksaremything.com/2014/09/17/so-behind-review-a-thon/
I did a readalong last year for Under the Dome before the show premiered. The ending sucked. Not my favorite King book. I have Bag of Bones and Salems Lot to read soon. I only read NOS4A2 by Joe Hill but I highly recommend it. Perfect Halloween reading! I have Heart-Shaped Box of his to read too.
My 5yr old just started soccer, so I know what you mean with the schedules – it’s 1 evening a week and then a Saturday morning. But last night it was 7:30 before we were eating dinner, ugh!
I’ve sucked at blogging as a whole recently (and reading) so I have reviews backed up and have really abandoned my blog in September. I hope that October will be better because I do really enjoy it when I’m in the swing of things.
We really want to watch Breaking Bad…but too many shows! Isn’t it the same with books? Apparently one of the middle seasons is slow going and you have to push through it! Everyone I know who watched it can not stop talking about it though!
Oh, I haven’t read anything by SK lately, but I loved the last one I read, which was different from his usual, IMO: 11/22/63.
On my stacks, I have Lisey’s Story, which I hope to read before the end of the year, as it is on my Mt. TBR Challenge list.
Enjoy…and I love the look of your blog!
Here’s MY BOOKISH/NOT SO BOOKISH THOUGHTS
I also can’t wait to see Gone Girl…going this weekend.
Your daughter did wonderful things to that house- I have absolutely no talents in that area-wish I did! I loved 11/22/63!
Aw, sorry everyone was disappointed in the end of HIMYM. It made me really cross! I think the writers just didn’t realize how insanely lovable everyone was going to find Cristin Milioti.